Holiday Safety During the Holidays
The holidays are in full swing, but before your family and friends roll into town, be sure to check if your home isholiday ready - when it comes to fire and electrical safety? The National Fire Protection Association claims that electrical issues are responsible for one in three Christmas fires. You can prevent fires in your home by following these easy recommendations before the weekend.
- Check your lights. In fact, look over each string for signs of damage including a frayed cord, defective or rusted sockets, detached connections or exposed wires. If your bulbs need to be replaced, be sure to use the same voltage in order to reduce any risk of the bulbs overheating, melting or sparking and causing a fire. If possible, be sure to use light strands that are UL listed.
- Limit the number of connected strands. Be sure not to attach more than three strings together at one time or the chances of fire will increase.
- Location. One cause of Christmas tree fires is when a tree is located too close to a heat source such as a heat vent, fireplace, wood stove, furnace or candle(s). Make sure your tree is at least three feet from any heat source. In addition, make sure your tree is not blocking an exit in your home.
- Water daily. Be sure to water your tree daily, and take it down once it begins to dry out.
- Know your chimney health. If you are not certain of the safety of your chimney, it is better not to burn a fire. A nice alternative is to light candles inside the fireplace or cover logs with a safe strand of lights (see recommendations above) for a festive effect.
- Open the flue. Before starting a fire, be sure that you have opened the flue to the chimney.
- Remove potential fire hazards. Also before starting a fire, make sure to remove any greenery from the mantle or from around the fireplace.
- Use a screen. A screen will eliminate flying embers which could potentially start a fire or cause injury to a loved one or pet.
- Throw away wrapping paper. Reduce the urge to throw wrapping paper into the fire as it can cause an unexpected flash fire. It is better to dispose of the wrapping paper in a proper trash bag or can.
By paying attention to these few extra details right now, you will ensure nothing steals the magic of the season for you and your loved ones.
Our wishes you and your family a safe and happy holiday season. Remember that in the event of an emergency, call us 24/7.